Wednesday, June 29, 2005

the mean reds

Lately I've had the knitting mean reds. I was just in a total funk. I didn't want to work on my current project (the cloche) and I couldn't get inspired to start a new project. Last night, I was cured by attending Open Knit Night. First, I sat down to page through a book, which happened to be Exquisite Little Knits: Knitting With Luxurious Specialty Yarns.
I picked it up because I have this belief that there is nothing new and exciting going on with all those novelty yarns, but am somehow always trying to prove myself wrong. Turns out, I'm pretty much right. This book offers such exciting variations as instead of knitting a Fun Fur scarf, you can make a Fun Fur shrug. Right. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I didn't see anything I thought was unique.

After reviewing my book, or rather eyeing it cynically, I decided it was time to take a stab at the cloche. Much to my astonishment, once I picked it up I felt the surge of knitterly conviction running through my veins. All the way down my arms and into my fingertips was the tingle of knitterness. Or maybe it was the red wine I was drinking. Either way, I got over that bit of the mean reds.

On to what you have been waiting for........just what exactly have I decided to knit for my second project? Before I tell you, I must lay out a disclaimer.

1) Please disregard what I said only a few moments ago about novelty yarns while thinking about my project

2) I do not like ponchos............at all...........none.........yuck

3) This is not really a poncho.........................per se

4) I am working with fingering weight yarn to make a difficult hat...... I need something quick, easy and instantly gratifying

Okay- now that we have that out of the way, I am making a poncho. But not really. And it uses novelty yarn. But not alot. Actually this gal showed up to OKN last night wearing this wonderful 'thing'. Sorta a poncho, sorta a shawl, sorta a scarf and very easy. Just one rectangle sew together. You've all seen them, I know you have, I just can't describe it. She had it on over a black t-shirt with a pair of jeans and looked absolutely adorable. She knit it on size 15's and said it went super fast. So last night I raided my stash to pull out all the odd bits of novelty yarn I had lying around to try and put a theme together. Then I flipped through this awesome book that my knitting guru got me for Christmas, whose name I can't remember right now, and found this neat lace stitch. Alright, enough of the obscure descriptions. You'll just have to wait until I get it started and scan a portion of it. For now, be content knowing that I am over the knitting mean reds.


By the way, if you don't know what mean reds are, go watch Breakfast at Tiffany's

No comments: